Rabbi Eliyahu Wolf Kochin (1870-1946) immigrated to Pittsburgh from Kovno, Lithuania, about 1906. The following year, he was joined by his wife http://www.jewishfamilieshistory.org/closest-casino-near-charlotte-nc/ (c.1878-1956) and their children, Louis, Eva, Masha Miriam and Esther. They settled in the Hill District, living on Colwell Street and later on Centre Avenue. After arriving in Pittsburgh, they had three more children, Judith, Morris and Milton.
In Europe, Kochin served as rabbi of Dombrovitz Valynia. From 1909 until his death, he led Tiphereth Israel Congregation at the corner of Fullerton and Clark streets. He was also rabbi of Beth Abraham Congregation and Poale Zedeck Congregation. In 1917, he published a multivolume set of Hebrew sermons called Sefer Aderet Eliyahu. He established the Pittsburgh Jewish Seminary which became the Hebrew Religious Academy.
Louis Kochin (c.1899-1971) graduated from West Virginia University and Northwestern University medical school. He was a well known pediatrician in Pittsburgh, first in general practice and later at Magee-Women’s Hospital. He was also an ordained rabbi.
Esther Kochin (c.1906-1973) attended the Duquesne University School of Law and was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 1927, becoming one of the first female lawyers in the city. Beginning her work in the final years of World War II, she focused her practice on immigration law. She was profiled in a history of female lawyers compiled by Lois Blaufeld.